Kugurizashi Sashiko Kit "Drop"
Please select all options.
Take your Sashiko stitching to the next level! This La Boutquetiere Sashiko cotton fabric kit combines traditional sashiko designs and Kugurizashi Sashiko designs.
Kugurizashi sashiko weaves under stitched threads to create beautiful patterns and textures. It looks more complicated than it is once you grasp the basic technique.
- "Drop" pre-printed fabric kit includes: Ready to stitch cotton fabric with wash away printed design, 4 sashiko thread skeins, one sashiko needle and good diagrams for how to stitch.
- Skill level: Experienced & confident sashiko stitcher. Instructions are in Japanese only with good diagrams.
- Recommended books in english for learning Hitomezashi and Kugurizashi Sashiko techniques: Amazing Sashiko or Sashiko & Color.
- This blog may be useful: An Easy Kuguri Project
- Care: 100% cotton cloth. Hand wash in warm water, towel dry. Press face down with steam.
- Finished Size: The cloth is 13" x 26" printed on one end. You are meant to fold the unprinted half under the printed half and stitch through both layers.
- Uses: Hem and use as a beautiful Hana Fukin cloth, or use for for cushions, quilt blocks, or in other sewing projects.
WHAT are Hitomesashi and Kugurisashi SASHIKO?
Hitomezashi is a sashiko stitching style. The designs are made up of single stitches in straight lines across the fabric. The stitching covers the fabric more densely than simple sashiko designs. This technique was used to make cloth stronger where it would get a lot of wear (cuffs, collars, knees...) and for mending. Today we are stitching it for its beauty and because it is relaxing and enjoyable.
Kugurizashi is a more advanced sashiko stitching technique which involves using the Hitomezashi stitching as the base layer to weave threads to create beautiful patterns and textures.