Why leave some slack thread in your sashiko stitching?
You are putting a lot of thick sashiko thread between the warp and weft threads of the fabric as you stitch. This is going to make the fabric bunch up as the stitching gets more dense. It has too, the width of that thread is forcing the threads of the fabric to push up against each other closer and closer as your stitching progresses.
Tutorial for stitching sashiko and weaving design
This blog will walk you through stitching the hemp leaf design. It is part of part of the Hemp Leaf and Coin design, a preprinted fabric kit by Olympus.
Sashiko and weaving projects use sashiko stitching to create a firm base of stitching through which other threads can be woven to create a textured design.
Many of us enjoy stitching the 12" x 12" ready to stitch preprinted sashiko sampler designs made by Olympus, Japan. We just aren't sure what they are for! Recently new ones came available and the header on them calls them Hana-fukin, so I looked it up.
Hana-fukin is the name for a useful household cloth. It could be a tea towel or dish cloth, or a clean square of cloth to put under a meal, or use in the center of a table, or to cover a bowl of fruit or eggs, or to cover cooling cookies or cake....
How to stitch your Olympus pre printed 12" sashiko sampler kit
Here's what you do....
- Sashiko +
- Dyed Yarn Fabrics +
- Gift Shop
- Handstitching +
- Special Fabrics +
- About Fabrics on A Threaded Needle
- About quilting sashiko
- dyed yarn cotton fabric
- hand sewing
- how to thread a sashiko needle
- How to transfer sashiko designs
- How to use products
- How to use sashiko products
- How to...
- Just for inspiration
- making matters
- Ready to stitch sashiko fabrics
- Sashiko thread-how not to end in a tangle
- Sashiko tutorial part 1 of 4
- Sashiko tutorial part 2 of 4
- Sashiko tutorial part 3 of 4
- Sashiko tutorial part 4 of 4
- Slow stitching and mending
- Things you can do with your sashiko stitched fabric
- Thoughts about creativity
- Tutorials for how to stitch sashiko & weaving designs
- What is going on at A Threaded Needle
- Zakka stitching for your home